Good morning and happy Sunday readers! With everyone tossing the candy and sweets to the side (until Valentine’s day of course) and opting for healthier choices during this diet season, I thought I’d share a favorite healthy recipe of mine: Turkey Taco Quinoa Bowl. Like a burrito bowl at Chipotle, except ground turkey instead of steak or chicken, and quinoa instead of rice!
I know there are a lot of Quinoa haters out there; but even for those that are not that keen on quinoa, this is quite delicious. A lot of people complain about the blandness of quinoa, but with all the seasoning, spices, and vegetables you add to this recipe it turns out anything but bland. Quinoa is a grain that is high in fiber, iron, and protein… AND it’s gluten free! It’s very nutritious, but be warned. If you are not used to consuming a lot of fiber in your diet, you may want to lessen the amount of quinoa that you use.
Here is the recipe, enjoy!
- ½ pound of lean ground turkey
- ½ cup of quinoa
- 1 small onion or ½ a large onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- ¾ cup of frozen corn
- 1 can of organic black beans
- 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons of chili powder
- 2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of onion powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 cup of water
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45-60 minutes
- Heat olive oil on large skillet at medium-high heat.
- When the skillet is hot, add in the diced onion and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in the ground turkey and cook until the meat is no longer pink.
- Add in the green bell pepper, the taco seasoning, and the spices. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add in the black beans, and corn. Stir until everything is combined.
- Add in the quinoa, stir in with the other ingredients. Add water. (If 1 cup isn’t enough, add water until the quinoa is submerged in the water)
- After the mixture begins to boil, cover the skillet with the lid and lower the heat to medium low.
- Simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked (it shouldn’t be hard or crunchy). All of the water should be absorbed.
- Serve with Pico de Gallo, hot sauce, or any other toppings.
Optional: I tend to keep it low fat and not include cheese; but at the end if you would like to sprinkle shredded cheese on the top to melt over the mixture, that is also super yummy!